Monday 5 September 2011

Hospital Updates et al

Quickly adding this onto the blog, as Something Important is happening tomorrow which I haven't got round to posting about.

As briefly mentioned, I have been going to a rehabilitation unit for Physio and Occupational Therapy, which has been interesting, fun, tiring, but all the people there are lovely and has been going well (albeit a couple of dramas, but anywhoo). I have attempted pottery, with one successful piece (if slightly childish looking), a complete disaster of a teapot (very structurally unsound), and I am now attempting another pot.

The Big News is that I will get my Phenol Nerve Block injections tomorrow, and then on the 19th I will have my Baclofen day trial - woah! I have just realised that a few posts ago I never said what the last minute Dr appointment was about. Well it was to get the above sorted out, as my consultant could see my patience was wearing thin.

To put it succinctly as possible, the Phenol nerve block will reduce the tightness in two of the worst offending muscles groups in my legs, and also act as a stop gap whilst waiting to get the Baclofen Pump. Try and imagine a bass beat being pumped under your skin and into your nerves and that is kind of how it feels. Freaky but cool. The anesthetic nerve trial proved successful (giggling is apparently an unusual reaction to this), so the go ahead was given for the full on nerve block.

The nerve block should last up to 12 months, and will take away some of the supporting tone in my legs, so this will be interesting to see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment