Wednesday 23 March 2011

The Holy Grail of Wheelchairs

This is my Holy Grail of wheelchairs:



The Quickie Helium. Look at it, just look at it. What a sexy beast of a chair. Oh. My. God.

And it is finally, FINALLY within my grasp! Yes, that's right, I'm taking on the powers that be - Wheelchair Services.

Last time I saw them, they point blank refused to assess me as a) I was a part time walker, and b) I had my own (albeit shoddy) chair. At the time my mum quizzed them asking what if I had come in on crutches? Oh, we can't assess you if you can walk. But then again, you already have a chair, and we'd just give you that one you've got so we can't assess you anyway.

What was I meant to do? Come in on a stretcher?!

But this time I am armed and ready, oh yes. You see, it is fairly obvious to anyone that I need a decent chair - my current one is like a tank, and is wrecking my arms from using it everyday, and weighs about 20kg. My Neurologist has written a letter for me explaining that I DO need a chair, and to top it off, I have been fitted for a Quickie Helium by the nice and knowledgeable guy at my local Wheelchair supplier.

I got to try the Quickie out and it is a DREAM. It only weighs 6kg, I can actually lift it with one arm, and I am pretty speedy on it! I almost cried when the demo session was over.

So, come April, I will have my Neurologist's letter and my wheelchair prescription, and I will not take No for an answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment